Sunday, June 12, 2011

Arts in the Park 2011

I'm back in Boston after showing my work at the 16th annual "Arts in the Park" festival on June 5th.
(Remember you can click on the pic for a larger view. For my full painting inventory and prices, click "feed the starving artist" tab on the top menu bar)

Entrance to Festival
Despite earlier predictions of hot sunny weather, we were a little worried that the festival might be postponed due to rain. However the overcast skies kept the weather cool and comfortable, and by later in the afternoon the sun began to peek out.

High School Park, in Elkins Park PA (just outside the Philly city limits) was created on the site of the town's original high school campus. The big old building was imploded decades ago, leaving a hilltop meadow surrounded by beautiful mature trees. Eventually the site became a municipal park, and began hosting an annual arts and crafts festival in 1995.
Step Right Up

This was the first time I transported my new booth assembly.  Everything went smoothly, and I just finished my set-up by the official opening time of the event. Next time it will go much faster! I look a bit like a carnival barker here, but that's actually a screwdriver in my hand, not a pointer.



Always wish I had taken more photos, but the day went by quickly as the festival got crowded. It was great to see old friends and neighbors from Philadelphia and meet new people interested in paintings! It was a successful sales day too, so overall a wonderful trip.

What really pleased me most was selling two pieces from my urban settings series. This is the subject matter I find most rewarding, so I was glad that people seeing my work for the first time found it interesting too. Rather than painting pretty scenes, I prefer finding structure, beauty and drama in gritty everyday settings. Great to hear comments from people who got the concept and liked it!
"Sunset Strip Mall USA", urban settings series
"Race St. Taxi at the Ben Franklin"
Urban Settings Series

Now that I'm established in Boston, I will be exploring some local artist markets and other festival and shows in the New England area. Stay tuned for news!
More Frame Features
It was fun to indulge my old carpentry skills in making frames for several pieces before the festival. I know some collectors who like to hang paintings without frames, saying that a painting should speak for itself and stand on it's own. To me, this works if there are many painting together on a large wall, or if the wall space around the piece is very tight. However, I like the way a frame creates a portal into the world of the painting, besides just setting it off and giving more weight and presence to the work. I've created a couple unique "floater" designs that allow the painted edges of the canvas to show within the frame rim. Below are some pieces in frames, next to views of the canvas only

"Three Lanes to Jersey"
Reverse angle Faux Red Mahogany Floater, about 22 x 18

"Manayunk Hill, Night"
Salmon Stained Maple Box Floater, about 20 x 14

"Path through Trees and Bramble"
Another reverse angle faux mahogany, about 24 x 18

Nostalgic for Winter?
Lastly, my friend Jeff bought one of my favorite paintings from last winter in the depths of the season's snow and ice. The scene is a few streets from my house in Somerville, looking towards Cambridge, where Jeff lives. Below is the canvas, then a photo of the painting in its new home.

"Melting Snow, Sunset, Cambridge"








No comments:

Post a Comment